Farid

Shia Hadith Sciences 101

99 posts in this topic

Give me a day or so inshallah. I've been outta town. =)

[quote]salam to all, one thing i want to know in shia hadith.. i.e.

1. WHAT IS THE CONCEPT OF HASAN LI GHAYRIHI in shia hadiths?? is this concept supported by previous ulema's & rejected by new one's like al-khoi!!??

2. If this concept is supported by previous ulema's, then what is their methodology? i.e. the chains should differ with different narrators completely or one main narrator {instead of imam [i.e. the one just below masoom imam]} narrated to 10 different peoples & the chain differs after that but still the chains are considered as 10 different chains? wasalam[/quote]

Personally, I haven't seen this being implemented in Shia hadith. In most cases, hadiths don't have alternative chains.

Perhaps the difference is that the scholars of Ahlul Sunnah assigned levels of [i]dhabt [/i]to their narrators, while Shias, in general classify narrators into weak and strong. There are specific exceptions to this in my opinion, but it is too rare that we don't find contemporary Shias writing about this in their books.

Carrying on...

Now that we've covered some material about the books, I'd like to move onto the formula for grading Shia hadith.

However, even before going into this, you can rest assured that you already know most of what you need to know about Shia hadith. The formula I use to authenticating or weakening a hadith chain is the following:

1- Focus on one narrator in the chain and go through the books above, looking for that narrators biography.
2- You will usually find a statement of [i]ta'deel [/i]or [i]tajreeh [/i]in those books.
3- If a hadith in praise or in condemnation of that narrator can be found in Al-Kashshi, then repeat the above steps with the chain of narrations provided there.
4- If you do not find any useful statements about the narrator, then refer to [i]Al-Mufeed min Mu'jam Rijal Al-Hadith*, [/i]to check if the narrator is [i]majhool.
[/i]5- Rinse and repeat with all the narrators in chain.

You will, in most cases, be able to grade a hadith based on the above, and in my opinion, you'll be able to grade perhaps 90% of the hadiths out there based on this.

There are some road blocks that you will run into though when following the above approach. First of all, you will run into names that are shared. For example, the name "Ahmad bin Mohammed" usually refers to Ahmad bin Mohammed bin Eisa Al-Ash'ari. Yet, at times, it refers to Ahmad bin Mohammed bin Khalid Al-Barqi. Our good friend Nader Zaveri has theorized that it also refers to Ahmad bin Mohammed bin Sayyar Al-Sayyari. Be aware that depending on who the narrator is, we could end up with a different grading, seeing as how the first two are seen as acceptable by Shias, while the last is considered to be weak. To get through this problem, one usually refers to a couple of methods to determine who the narrator is. This is usually done by checking the [i]shaikh [/i]and student of that narrator in the chain, then checking out which Ahmad bin Mohammed had a [i]shaikh [/i]and student by that name. This may sound tough, but it is much easier than it sounds, since Al-Khoei and his students have already done the work for you. Just search through an online copy of Mu'jam Rijal Al-Hadith for each Ahmad bin Mohammed, and you'll find a list of his teachers and students in there. This is similar to what you can find in Tahteebul Kamal by Al-MIzzi, from the Sunni side. Another method is by checking the [i]tabaqa [/i]of the narrator. A [i]tabaqa [/i]is the level of the narrator, which technically categorizes the period in which they lived in and who their students and [i]shaikhs [/i]were. For example, if you had a hadith in which Ali bin Mihzayar is narrating the hadith of an Imam named Abu Ja'afar, then you can be sure that this is referring to Abu Ja'afar Al-Jawad (d. 220) and not Abu Ja'afar Al-Baqir (d. 114). A third method is to find alternative chains in other hadith books that mention the full name of the narrator.

There are some other specific occasions in which a simple investigation will lead you to a difference in opinion between scholars about a narrator. Fortunately, this is somewhat rare, due to the lack of Shia scholars that specialized in [i]ilmul rijal [/i]and their statements. In most cases, one will have the ability to find an opinion outweighing another. For example, you'll have Ibn Al-Ghada'iri and Al-Najashi weakening a narrator, and only Al-Tusi strengthening him. To me, it seems acceptable to accept the opinion of the majority in this case. Contemporary Shias, however, have also came up with some rules in order to reach a conclusion whenever this occurs. They are the following:

- When Al-Najashi conflicts with Al-Tusi, we accept Al-Najashi because he was completely focused into [i]rijali [/i]sciences unlike Al-Tusi. Plus, he wrote his books last.
- Al-Tusi's view is the accepted view since he is a bigger scholar and has a bigger scope of hadith than Al-Najashi.
- [i]Jarh [/i]takes precedence over [i]tawtheeq[/i] since the scholar making the [i]jarh [/i]is aware of a weakness in the narrator that the person making [i]tawtheeq [/i]doesn't.
- [i]Tawtheeq [/i]takes precedence since the scholar is aware of the [i]jarh [/i]but chooses to reject it.

There is a good amount of detail written about these specific views and one must refer to Shia hadith science books by contemporaries in order to arrive at a conclusion. However, I hold the opinion that if one chooses one view, then one must be consistent, because if you aren't, then you'll lose all credibility.

One could also refer to books written by contemporary scholars that give an in-depth opinion of each of these narrators. This has certainly helped me arrive at certain conclusions that I wouldn't have been able to on my own, since these people have really spent a lot of time go through several sources for their material. In some cases, they find evidences from rare hadith books that have nothing to do with [i]rijal [/i]that include [i]rijali [/i]opinions. Of course, as I've said before, this is very rare. Yet, when it actually occurs, it is pretty helpful.

* [i]Al-Mufeed min Mu'jam Rijal Al-Hadith [/i]is a summary of [i]Mu'jam Rijal Al-Hadith [/i]by Al-Khoei. This book will save you a lot of time, since it is only a volume long, and it summarizes Al-Khoei's huge compilation. One of the most important things about this book is that Al-Jawahiri, the compiler, mentions that a narrator is [i]majhool[/i], if there isn't enough to strengthen him. This is a very useful to save you time since he's, from my experience, always correct when he holds this opinion.

Salam,

Oki I wanna try, just as an exercise I’ll take this Hadith from al-Kafi:

[right][right][size="4"][b]عَلِيُّ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عِيسَى عَنْ يُونُسَ عَنْ حَمَّادِ بْنِ عُثْمَانَ عَنِ الْحَارِثِ بْنِ الْمُغِيرَةِ النَّصْرِيِّ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِاللَّهِ ( عليه السلام ) فِي قَوْلِ اللَّهِ عَزَّ وَ جَلَّ إِنَّما يَخْشَى اللَّهَ مِنْ عِبادِهِ الْعُلَماءُ قَالَيَعْنِي بِالْعُلَمَاءِ مَنْ صَدَّقَ فِعْلُهُ قَوْلَهُ وَ مَنْ لَمْ يُصَدِّقْ فِعْلُهُ قَوْلَهُ فَلَيْسَ بِعَالِمٍ .[/b][/size][/right][/right]
And according to al-Majlisi in his Miraat this should be Sahih.

So I’ll see if I can get there using the books that brother Farid mentioned and others,also I haven’t read the intro of any of these books so I won’t be familiar with any special mark and symbols used by the authors.

Firstly I’ll check which Imam I’ve got according to this cute lil helpful list:

[right][right][b][size="2"]- علي بن أبي طالب [المرتضى - أمير المؤمنين] 23 قبل الهجرة - 40هـ. [/size][/b][b][size="2"]1[/size][/b][b] [/b][/right][/right]
[right][right][b][size="2"]2- الحسنبن علي [الزكي - المجتبى] 2-50 هـ. [/size][/b][/right][/right]
[right][right][b][size="2"]3- الحسينبن علي [سيد الشهداء] 3-61 هـ. [/size][/b][/right][/right]
[right][right][b][size="2"]4-علي بن الحسين [زين العابدين - السجاد] 38-95 هـ. [/size][/b][/right][/right]
[right][right][b][size="2"]5-محمد بن علي [الباقر - أبو جعفر] 57-114 هـ. [/size][/b][/right][/right]
[right][right][b][size="2"]6-جعفر بن محمد [الصادق - أبو عبدالله] 83-148 هـ. [/size][/b][/right][/right]
[right][right][b][size="2"]7-موسى بن جعفر [الكاظم - أبو الحسن - أبو الحسن الأول - أبو الحسن الماضي - أبوإبراهيم] 128-183 هـ. [/size][/b][/right][/right]
[right][right][b][size="2"]8-علي بن موسى [الرضا - أبو الحسن الثاني] 148-203 هـ. [/size][/b][/right][/right]
[right][right][b][size="2"]9-محمد بن علي [الجواد - أبو جعفر الثاني] 195-220 هـ. [/size][/b][/right][/right]
[right][right][b][size="2"]10-علي بن محمد [الهادي - العسكري] 212-254 هـ. [/size][/b][/right][/right]
[right][right][b][size="2"]11-الحسن بن علي [العسكري - أبو محمد] 232-260 هـ. [/size][/b][/right][/right]
[right][right][b][size="2"]12-محمد بن الحسن [المهدي - الحجة - القائم - الغائب - المنتظر]256-؟ [/size][/b][/right][/right]

It’s Imam Abu‘ Abdullah Ja’afar al-Sadiq since he’s the only one with the kuniyah of Abu ‘Abdullah.

Now who’s directly narrating from him is al-Harith bin al-Mugheerah al-Nasri, so lemme check this guy out.

First Man:

In Mu’ujam Rijal al-Hadith:

[right][right][size="4"]2515 - 2514 - 2522 - الحارث بن مغيرة:النصري - من أصحاب الباقر، والصادق (ع) ثقة ثقة - روى في كامل الزيارات - له كتاب- طريق الشيخ اليه صحيح- طريق الصدوق اليه ضعيف - روى عن أبي جعفر، وجعفر، وموسى بن جعفر..[/size][/right][/right]
And that is really more than enough to accept his Hadith but I just want to see if the other books mention him, I’ll start with Rijal al-Tusi:
[right][right][size="4"]أصحاب أبي جعفرمحمد بن علي بن الحسين عليهمالسلام[/size][/right][/right] [right][right][size="4"][1363] 42 - الحارث بن المغيرةالنصري، يكنى أبا علي، من بني نصر بن معاوية[/size][/right][/right][right][right][size="4"]أصحاب أبي عبدالله جعفر بن محمد الصادق عليهماالسلام[/size][/right][/right][right][right][size="4"][2373] 230 - الحارث بن المغيرةالنصري، أبو علي، أسند عنه، بياع الزطي[/size][/right][/right]
So all we know from Rijal al-Tusi is that he was from the companions of al-Baqir wal Sadiq however nothing is mentioned about his reliability.

Now I’ll check his Fehrest:

باب الحاء

[right][right][size="4"][265] 17 - الحارث بن المغيرةالنصري. له كتاب،أخبرنا به ابن أبي جيد، عن ابن الوليد، عن الصفار، عن محمد ابنالحسين، عن صفوان بن يحيى، عنه.[/size][/right][/right]
It only says that he has a book and its Tariq is Sahih according to al-Mufeed min al-Mu’ujam.

Rijal Ibn al-Ghadaeri:

He’s not mentioned in it.

Rijal al-Keshshi vol-2:

[right][right][size="4"]ما روى في زيدالشحام والحارث بن المغيرة النصري [/size][/right][/right]
[right][right][size="4"]619 - نصر بن الصباح،قال: حدثنا الحسن بن علي بن أبي عثمان سجادة قال: حدثنامحمد بن الوضاح، عن زيد الشحام، قال: دخلت على أبي عبد الله عليه السلام فقال لي:يا زيد جدد التوبة وأحدث عبادة، قال: قلت: نعيت إلي نفسي. قال: فقاللي: يا زيد ما عندنا لك خير، وأنت من شيعتنا، إلينا الصراط واليناالميزان، والينا حساب شيعتنا، والله لأنا لكم أرحم من أحدكم بنفسه، يا زيد كأني أنظرإليك في درجتك من الجنة ورفيقك فيها الحارث ابن المغيرة النصري.
620 - وحدثني محمد بن قولويه، قال: حدثنا سعد بن عبد الله، عن أحمد ابن محمدبن عيسى، عن عبد الله بن محمد الحجال عن يونس بن يعقوب، قال: كنا عندأبي عبد الله عليه السلام فقال: أما لكم من مفزع أما لكم من مستراح تستريحون إليه، مايمنعكم من الحارث بن المغيرة النصري.[/size][/right][/right]
These are two hadiths in his praise and I will not try to check their authenticity for the time being.

Al-Khulasah by al-Helli:

[size="4"]رجال الكشي:337، الرقم: 620، رجال النجاشي: 139، الرقم: 361.
[/size]
He places him in the first part of the book I guess and quotes the sayings of al-Najashi and the Hadiths in al-Kashshi.

Rijal ibn Dawood:

[right][right][size="4"]367 - الحارث بن المغيرةالنصري بالنون والصاد المهملة قر، ق، م ثقة (كش) مذموم.[/size][/right][/right]
He says the Man is Thiqah however I see the word “[size="2"]مذموم[/size]” so I guess he must have been criticized in the narration of al-Kashshi.

Finally Rijal al-Barqi:

[right][right]أصحاب أبي عبد الله جعفر بن محمد عليه السلام[/right][/right]
[right][right][size="2"]الحارث بن المغيرة النصري[/size] [/right][/right]
[right][right][size="2"]كوفي[/size][/right][/right]
Who just said the Man is Kufi.

Second Man:

The Next narrator is Hamad ibn ‘Uthman, I found two of him in al-Mufeed min al-Mu’ujam:

[right][right][size="4"]3957 - 3956 - 3966 - حماد بن عثمان: بن عمرو بن خالد، الفزاري - ثقة - روى عن أبي عبد الله، وأبي الحسن، والرضا (ع)، قاله النجاشي - له كتاب متحد مع لاحقه.
3958 - 3957 - 3967 - حماد بن عثمان الناب: من أصحاب الصادق، والكاظم، والرضا (ع) - ثقة جليل القدر - روى في كامل الزيارات، و تفسيرالقمي - متحد مع حماد بن عثمان بن عمرو بن خالد الفزاري سابقه - وعلى فرض التعددفكل منهما ثقة -[/size][/right][/right]
Hamad ibn ‘Uthman bin ‘Amro bin Khaled al-Fizari & Hamad bin ‘Uthman thu al-Naab and Both men are trustworthy.

In Mu’ujam al-Rijal vol.7 it seems both of these men are the exact same person and al-khoei provides several proofs and the strongest I came across is that Ibn ‘Amro and al-Naab were both stated to have died in 190hijri:

[right][right][size="4"]ويؤكد ذلك بماذكره النجاشي من أن حماد بن عثمان بن عمرو، مات بالكوفة سنة 190، وقد ذكر الكشي في حماد بن عثمان الناب، أن حماد بن عثمان،مولى غني، مات بالكوفة سنة 190.[/size][/right][/right]
So I’ll stop here and won’t waste my time as al-Khoei said:

[right][right][size="4"]والذي يهون الخطب،أنه لا ثمرة للبحث فإنه ثقة على كل حال، تعدد أو لم يتعدد[/size][/right][/right]
Third Man:

Is “Yunus” and it could be Yunus ibn Ya’aqoub because he narrated from another man called Hamad but he does not seem to be Ibn ‘Amro and from those who narrated from him were Muhammad ibn ‘Isa as mentioned in Rijal al-Khoei vol-21 and this would make him a Thiqah.

It could also be Yunus ibn ‘Abdul-Rahman who narrated from aman called Hamad and from those who narrated from him is Muhammad ibn ‘Isa and this would make him a Thiqah either way.

The only one who narrates from Hamad ibn ‘Uthman is just “yunus”as stated in Tarjamah # 13847 and “yunus” was mentioned in around 1052 narrations according to al-Khoei who said:

[right][right][size="4"]أقول: يونس هذا مشترك بين جماعة، وإنما التمييز بالراوي والمروي عنه.[/size][/right][/right]
I think it’s the second man I mentioned and he’s a Thiqah.

Fourth Man:

Muhammad ibn ‘Isa is also a name carried by a couple of individuals as stated in al-Mufeed:

[right][right][size="4"]محمد بن عيسى: روى في تفسير القمي - ووقع بهذا العنوان في سند 1092 رواية[/size][/right][/right]
After checking Mu’ujam al-Khoei I think this is Muhammad ibn‘Isa ibn ‘Ubeid ibn Yaqteen with the Tarjamah #11535 who narrated from Yunus and from those who narrated from him are ‘Ali ibn Ibrahim, he is Thiqah.

Fifth Man:

‘Ali ibn Ibrahim and this is probably Ibn Hashim al-Qummi who usually narrates from his father and he is Thiqah and his Tarjamah in al-Mu’ujam vol-12 is #7830:

[right][right][size="4"]7830 - علي بن إبراهيم بن هاشم: قال النجاشي: " علي بن إبراهيم بن هاشم أبو الحسن القمي، ثقة في الحديث،ثبت، معتمد، صحيح المذهب، سمع فأكثر، وصنف كتبا وأضر في وسط عمره. [/size][/right][/right]
So I this is what I came up with, maybe brother Farid cancorrect any mistakes in my Manhaj. Edited by TripolySunni

Brothers such question, is there any shia rijal book, which mentions dates of birth and death of narrators?
From what I remember you would see only few dates in Khulasa of al-Hilli. Edited by Efendi

Barak Allah feek.

This is a good attempt and you seem to have gotten the basic idea. Personally, I'd rather not start off with Al-Jawahiri's book but rather, leave it as a last resort, especially since you are new at this. As you are aware, he is a contemporary, and we wouldn't want his biases to get the best of you. As mentioned previously, your main focus will be the books of the old scholars, since pretty much all the [i]rijali [/i]books written later were based upon them alone.

[quote] It’s Imam Abu‘ Abdullah Ja’afar al-Sadiq since he’s the only one with the kuniyah of Abu ‘Abdullah.[/quote]

Al-Hussain was called Abu Abdullah as well. You need to recheck that list later on. However, you are correct, in this case, the Imam referred to is Al-Sadiq.

You are also correct in assuming that this is Yunus bin Abdulrahman.

[quote]
Fourth Man:

Muhammad ibn ‘Isa is also a name carried by a couple of individuals as stated in al-Mufeed:

محمد بن عيسى: روى في تفسير القمي - ووقع بهذا العنوان في سند 1092 رواية
After checking Mu’ujam al-Khoei I think this is Muhammad ibn‘Isa ibn ‘Ubeid ibn Yaqteen with the Tarjamah #11535 who narrated from Yunus and from those who narrated from him are ‘Ali ibn Ibrahim, he is Thiqah.

Fifth Man:

‘Ali ibn Ibrahim and this is probably Ibn Hashim al-Qummi who usually narrates from his father and he is Thiqah and his Tarjamah in al-Mu’ujam vol-12 is #7830:

7830 - علي بن إبراهيم بن هاشم: قال النجاشي: " علي بن إبراهيم بن هاشم أبو الحسن القمي، ثقة في الحديث،ثبت، معتمد، صحيح المذهب، سمع فأكثر، وصنف كتبا وأضر في وسط عمره.[/quote]

Are you getting tired of quoting all the books? I see a mistake here and I won't tell you where. Once again, don't rely on the [i]muta'akhireen[/i]. If you examine that opinions of the earlier scholars you will arrive at a conclusion that I arrived to inshallah.

There are some specifics that I'd rather skip for the moment. Inshallah we will come back to this chain in the future though. It is a good chain that includes quite a few interesting [i]fawa'id. =)[/i]

[quote]Brothers such question, is there any shia rijal book, which mentions dates of birth and death of narrators?
From what I remember you would see only few dates in Khulasa of al-Hilli. [/quote]

The best place for the dates of deaths of narrators is [i]Rijal Al-Tusi. [/i]However, I hold the opinion that he quoted Sunni scholars for a huge number of the dates that he included. Then, the second best place to look is [i]Rijal Al-Najashi[/i].

In all, we have the dates of death of no more than 250 narrators, max.

Less than half of them are [i]thiqaat[/i], according to my count.

This number includes all those that died from the Sahaba, up until the time of Al-Tusi. Edited by Farid

Yes but the SHia never narrate anything from al-Hussein so I knew it wouldn't be him :p

Anyway I'll try to look at the last two narrators later from their Usool and see what I can find.

[quote]
Al-Tusi’s Rijal was my first, Shia rijal book. I was amazed by the size, since it came in a set of around twelve volumes. I had tons of cash on me that day. So, me and a friend picked up the whole thing and we place it on a table. Ironically, I quickly realized that it was only one volume long, and the rest were just other copies. I quickly opened it up, and found, to my surprised, thousands of names of narrators, without any commentary about them other than their name, usually their kunya, rarely a word of praise or condemnation, and extremely rarely something about their year of death. Here I was, thinking that Ibn Abi Hatim had a rival. Overall, out of the 6400+ narrators in the book, only around 200 have any tawtheeq or tad’eef. There are also 150 narrators that Al-Tusi mentions as followers of specific sects. I suggest that the brothers that feel at awe when it comes to stepping into a subject like this should take a good look at an online copy of the book. It is an extremely simple book, but yet, perhaps, the most significant rijal book.

Rijal Al-Najashi is perhaps the most loved Shia rijali book. He includes over 1200 narrators. The style of the book is similar to that of Fihrist Al-Tusi, in which he includes his chain to the books of the authors. He tends to speak more about the lives of specific individuals, even though it is somewhat rare. Due to Al-Najashi being only known for his book on rijal, Shia scholars tend to prefer his opinions over the opinions of Al-Tusi. Some claim that when a contradiction occurs, one should always take Najashi’s opinion. Inshallah we will examine this in the days to come.
[/quote]

I've been doing some research on a topic based on a hunch I had a while back. One thing that's tripping me up however is I can't get any reliable information as to whether Rijal Najashi preceded Rijal Tusi, or vice versa. Do you have any insight? Just comparing the content of the two, it would seem that Najashi compiled his later as it's "more complete" and than there's some internal evidence that I've read their ulema point to. I'm thinking of just considering testimony from either of the contemporaries as being equivalent temporally - but something concrete one way or the other might help me a bit. Here's sort of what I've got:

Kashshi (assuming Tusi was reliable in his abridgement) - before 370

Tusi - around 420 (both books?)
Najashi - around 430?

Ghada'iri (assuming it is reliable from Tawus and the later editor) - before 450

Later scholars relied on them almost entirely with the exception of some detailed discussions and resolving errors/forgeries in the transmission of their manuscripts? Same goes for example for al-Hilli's work (since he seems to copy verbatim)? Edited by MohammadMufti

Oh? I always thought it was 450 AH for Al-Najashi, 460 AH for Tusi,

I don't believe we know about when Al-Kashshi died, but it appears as though he died around the time you mentioned.

As for Ibn Al-Ghadha'iri, it seems as though he was a contemporary of the [i]shaikh[/i].

Hmm.. ok I am rechecking Muhammad ibn ‘Isa from the earliersources, I previously said that he was Muhammad ibn ‘Isa ibn ‘Ubeid al-Yaqtini whois thiqah but from what I read in Rijal al-Tusi:

[right][right][size=2][5758] 10 - [/size][size=2]محمد بن عيسى بنعبيد اليقطيني، يونسي، ضعيف علي قول القميين. 131[/size][/right][/right]
He’s weak according to the people of Qum (that’s assuming he’sthe guy).

In al-Fehrest there is only one Muhammad ibn ‘Isa and he’sweak:

[right][right][size=2][611] 26 - [/size][size=2]محمد بن عيسى بنعبيد اليقطيني، ضعيف، استثناه[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]أبو جعفرمحمد بن علي بن بابويه عن رجال نوادر الحكمة، وقال[/size][size=2]:[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]لا أروي مايختص برواياته، وقيل: إنه كان يذهب مذهب الغلاة[/size][size=2] [/size][/right][/right]
Now let’s see Rijal al-Kashshi, Oh there he is narratingfrom Yunus:

[right][right][size=2]237 - [/size][size=2]حدثني حمدويه،قال: حدثني محمد بن عيسى، عن يونس، عن[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]مسمع كردينأبي سيار، قال: سمعت أبا عبد الله عليه السلام يقول: لعن الله بريدا ولعن[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]الله زرارة[/size][size=2].[/size][/right][/right]
And here he is again:

[right][right][size=2]297 - [/size][size=2]محمد بن مسعود،قال: حدثني جبريل بن أحمد، قال: حدثني[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]محمد بنعيسى، عن يونس، عن حماد الناب، قال: جلس أبو بصير على باب[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]أبي عبدالله عليه السلام ليطلب الاذن[/size][/right][/right]
Honestly can’t they just tell us which Muhammad ibn ‘Isathis is? Since I know that the guy before him is Yunus ibn ‘Abdul-Rahman:

[right][right][size=2]401 - [/size][size=2]حدثني محمد بنقولويه، والحسين بن الحسن بن بندار القمي، قالا[/size][size=2]:[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]حدثنا سعدبن عبد الله، قال: حدثني محمد بن عيسى بن عبيد، عن يونس بن[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]عبدالرحمن، ان بعض أصحابنا سأله وأنا حاضر[/size][/right][/right]
[right][right][size=2]435 - [/size][size=2]حدثني محمد بنمسعود، عن جبريل بن أحمد، عن محمد بن عيسى،[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]عن يونس،عن أبي الصباح، قال: سمعت أبا عبد الله عليه السلام يقول: يا أبا الصباح[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]هلكالمتريسون في أديانهم، منهم: زرارة، وبريد، ومحمد بن مسلم، وإسماعيل[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]الجعفيوذكر آخر لم أحفظه[/size][size=2].[/size][/right][/right]
[right][right][size=2]437 - [/size][size=2]جبريل بن أحمد،قال: حدثني محمد بن عيسى بن عبيد، عن[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]يونس بنعبد الرحمن، عن عمر بن أبان عن عبد الرحيم القصير، قال، قال[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]أبو عبدالله عليه السلام: أئت زرارة وبريدا، وقل لهما ما هذه البدعة اما علمتم أن رسول[/size][/right][/right]
[right][right][size=2]479 - [/size][size=2]وحدثني محمد بنمسعود العياشي، قال: حدثنا جبريل بن أحمد[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]الفاريابي،قال: حدثني محمد بن عيسى العبيدي، عن يونس، قال: قلت لهشام[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]انهميزعمون أن أبا الحسن عليه السلام بعث إليك عبد الرحمن بن الحجاج يأمرك أن تسكت[/size][/right][/right]
[right][right][size=2]522 - [/size][size=2]محمد بن مسعود،قال: حدثني جبريل بن أحمد، قال: حدثني[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]محمد بنعيسى بن عبيد، قال: حدثني يونس بن عبد الرحمن، عن رجل، قال،[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]قال أبوعبد الله عليه السلام: كان أبو الخطاب أحمق فكنت أحدثه فكان لا يحفظ، وكان يزيد[/size][/right][/right]
So this shows that Muhammad ibn ‘Isa ibn ‘Ubeid is the onewho narrates from Yunus ibn ‘Abdul-Rahman and he has a brother called Ja’afaribn ‘Isa.

And I finally reach his section:

[right][right][size=2]في أبي جعفر محمدبن عيسى بن عبيد بن يقطين[/size][/right][/right]
I see that he is praised here.

I don’t find him in Ibn al-Ghadaeri.

Now ‘Ali bin Ibrahim, who is not mentioned in Rijal al-Tusi.

In al-Fehrest it only says that he has books and the Tariqof the Sheikh to him is Sahih.

In al-Najashi it says Thiqah:

[right][right][size=2][680][/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]علي بنإبراهيم بن هاشم[/size][size=2]
[/size][size=2]أبو الحسنالقمي، ثقة في الحديث، ثبت، معتمد، صحيح المذهب، سمع فأكثر[/size][/right][/right]
And is it me or does al-Kashshi not mention the guy? Ithought they’d have a big fat chapter for him.

Anyways tell me my mistakes yallah [font=Wingdings]J[/font]

[quote name='Farid' timestamp='1312644048' post='96174']
Oh? I always thought it was 450 AH for Al-Najashi, 460 AH for Tusi,

I don't believe we know about when Al-Kashshi died, but it appears as though he died around the time you mentioned.

As for Ibn Al-Ghadha'iri, it seems as though he was a contemporary of the [i]shaikh[/i].
[/quote]

Actually, I wasn't thinking of their dates of death but around when they wrote their rijal books, otherwise yea, it would be 450, 460. Edited by MohammadMufti

Lecture: [b]Introduction to Shia Hadith Sciences and Rijaal[/b]
Speaker: Farid (islamic-forum.net Forum Member)
Venue: Beyluxe & Paltalk
Lecture Delivered on: August 20th, 2011
Media: Audio
Language: English
Duration: 35min 29sec

[mp3a]http://kr-hcy.com/forum/media/Shia_Hadith_Science_and_Rijaal_[Farid-www.islamic-forum.net].mp3[/mp3a]

[url="http://kr-hcy.com/forum/media/Shia_Hadith_Science_and_Rijaal_%5BFarid-www.islamic-forum.net%5D.mp3"]Download - Audio MP3 - 6.1 MB[/url]

[b]Actually I don't know about the Hadith science that well but this is very helpfull ....

I think this audio must be on "HCY YOUTUBE CHANNEL" .....

And Brother FARID thank you for your great effort and may ALLAH increase your knowledge more.....[/b]

Thank you akhi, inshallah you found it to be beneficial.