Farid

Tips: Searching for Narrators

9 posts in this topic

Alsalam alaykum,

The following are some tips that I have come across that will help save time when one tries looking up information for narrators:

- Tahtheeb Al-Kamal / Tahtheeb Al-Tahtheeb / Ikmal Tahtheeb Al-Kamal: For narrators that can be found within the six books (and sometimes in books authored by the six, i.e. Khasa'is Ali by Al-Nasa'ee, Adab Al-Mufrad by Al-Bukhari)

- Mizan Al-I'itidal / Al-Kamil by Ibn Adi: Narrators that have been weakened (and are strong) and weak narrators in general.

- Thiqaat Ibn Hibban / Al-Ijli / Ibn Shaheen: Narrators that are [i]thiqaat[/i] or have been called [i]thiqaat[/i]. (Note: As most are aware, Ibn Hibban and Al-Ijli to some extent, are known to make [i]tawtheeq [/i]of unknown narrators.)

- Al-Thiqaat by Ibn Qutlubugha: Narrators that are [i]thiqaat[/i] but cannot be found in the six books.

- Lisan Al-Mizan: Narrators that were weakened but cannot be found in the six books.

- Tareekh Baghdad / Tareekh Dimashq / Akhbar Isbahaan / Tareekh Jirjan / Tareekh Ibn Yunus (Egypt) / Tareekh Nisapur: Each of these books includes information for narrators that have entered or are from each respective city. (Note: The last two books are lost, and the current versions today were compiled by the usage of other late books that recorded information from these books.)

- Tabaqaat Al-Shafi'eeya / Tabaqaat Al-Hanabila: Information about narrators that belong to these specific sects. (Note: There are also books about the narrators of Maliki and Hanafi sects but I do not recall their names.)

- Maraseel Ibn Abi Hatim / Jami' Al-Tahseel / Tuhfat Al-Tahseel: Books for finding out about narration disconnections.

- Tabaqaat Al-Mudaliseen by Ibn Hajar: Finding out the level of [i]tadlees[/i] by a particular narrator.

- Siyar A'alam Al-Nubala / Tareekh Al-Islam: Great for info about narrators that died after the 4th century.

- Al-Jarh wal Ta'deel by Ibn Abi Hatim: Largest quantity of early narrators. Edited by Farid

Indeed, very informative. :JazakAllah:

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله
JazakaLlahu khayran brother Farid, this is a very beneficial post alhamdulillah.

i would definitely recommend Siyar A'laam al-Nubalaa'. Masha'Allah there's so many beautiful and inspiring stories of the Salaf that really make you want to improve yourself to try to reach their level. i was even surprised to learn of the many great things the Imams of Ahl al-Bayt عليهم السلام did subhanAllah. Really great book alhamdulillah and really inspiring Edited by lotfilms

Jazakallahu kull Khayr Farid!

Fazail e amaal
A great and infomative islamic app..
We offers a free App just for Islam reproduction .You may click on the below link to download this app.

[url="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zerone.fzail_e_amaal"]Fazail e amaal[/url]

[quote name='Farid' timestamp='1327394864' post='109073']
- Tahtheeb Al-Kamal / Tahtheeb Al-Tahtheeb / Ikmal Tahtheeb Al-Kamal: For narrators that can be found within the six books (and sometimes in books authored by the six, i.e. Khasa'is Ali by Al-Nasa'ee, Adab Al-Mufrad by Al-Bukhari)[/quote]

Difference between these books are:
- Tahdheeb al-Kamal is the best source if one wants to specify a narrator based on his Shuyukh and students. So if there many narrator of a the same name one can simply look for the Shaykh from whom he is narrating and the student who is narrating from him in a specific narration. Tahdheeb al-Kamal provides the most detailed list of students and shuyukh of a narrator while Tahdheeb at-Tahdheeb of Ibn Hajar and Ikmal Tahdheeb al-Kamal of Al-Mughaltay are not beneficial in this case. Another such book which attempts to give an exhaustive list of Shuyukh and students is Tarikh Dimashq of Ibn 'Asakir.
- Later two books are works on the Tahdheeb al-Kamal of Al-Mizzi. If one wants to find out an exhaustive list of praise and criticism then he should look into Tahdheeb at-Tahdheeb of Ibn Hajar.

[quote]- Mizan Al-I'itidal / Al-Kamil by Ibn Adi: Narrators that have been weakened (and are strong) and weak narrators in general.[/quote]

Meezan saves you from al-Kamil of Ibn 'Adi except if you are looking for Isnad of a hadith. Lisan al-Meezan of Ibn Hajar is also on the same topic which is written as a research on Meezan al-I'tidal of Dhahabi. The difference is that Ibn Hajar add further information which was missed by Dhahabi along with correction of some of his mistakes. However Lisan al-Meezan does not discuss those narrators which are on its condition but have already been covered in Tahdheeb at-Tahdheeb.

[quote]- Al-Thiqaat by Ibn Qutlubugha: Narrators that are [i]thiqaat[/i] but cannot be found in the six books.[/quote]
It is a book which only collects narrators from Thiqaat of Ibn HIbban and Al-Jarh wa At-Ta'deel of Ibn Abi Hatim along with their comments, nothing more.

[quote]- Lisan Al-Mizan: Narrators that were weakened but cannot be found in the six books.[/quote]
Those who can be found in six books are listed there but without details as the author has discussed them in Tadheeb.

[quote]- Tabaqaat Al-Shafi'eeya / Tabaqaat Al-Hanabila: Information about narrators that belong to these specific sects. (Note: There are also books about the narrators of Maliki and Hanafi sects but I do not recall their names.)[/quote]
The books on Maliki scholars include Tarteeb al-Madarik of Qadhi 'Iyadh and Shajarah an-Noor az-Zakiyyah of Ibn Farhoon.
Among Hanafis: Taaj at-Tarajim of Abdul Qadir al-Qarshi (not sure!) and Al-fawaid al-Bahiyyah of Abdul Hayy al-Lakhnavi.

[quote]- Siyar A'alam Al-Nubala / Tareekh Al-Islam: Great for info about narrators that died after the 4th century.[/quote]
Tareekh al-Islam is a book which could be called encyclopedia on Rijal. It saves you from Tarikh Baghdag, Tarikh Dimashq, Akhbar Asbahan and many other books like these books. The book also discusses the event yearwise which is not the case in Siyar. In broader sense, Tarikh al-Islam also saves you from Siyar. WAllahu A'alam

[quote]- Al-Jarh wal Ta'deel by Ibn Abi Hatim: Largest quantity of early narrators.[/quote]
Along with At-Tarikh al-Kabeer of Bukhari.

^ Well done akhi. I agree with all you said except for this:

[quote]It is a book which only collects narrators from Thiqaat of Ibn HIbban and Al-Jarh wa At-Ta'deel of Ibn Abi Hatim along with their comments, nothing more.[/quote]

It also includes quotes from Tareekh Misr, Nisapur, and Baghdaad. Much of the information here cannot be found in other books.

I've noticed I could find Tawtheeqat in Qutlubugha's book not found in any of the main books of Rijal such as ibn abi Hatim's or Ibn Hibban's.