Muhammad Moin

Analysis of narrations quoted in Shia Encyclopedia

46 posts in this topic

[b]Hadeeth - 57[/b]
[quote]
The Prophet (PBUH&HF) said to his wives: "I wonder which one of you will be the instigator of the Camel Affair, at whom the dogs of Haw'ab will bark, and she will be the one who has deviated from the straight path. As to you Humayra (i.e., Aisha), I have warned you in that regard."
Sunni references:[list]
[*]History of Ibn al-Athir, v3, p120
[*]al-Imamah wa al-Siyasah, by Ibn Qutaybah
[/list]
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]I could not find this hadith with the addition of “and she will be the one who has deviated from the straight path” in any reliable book of hadith. And Allah knows best.[/color]

[b]Hadeeth - 58[/b]
[quote]The story that all historians tend to agree is that during her journey to Basra (to lead the war of Camel), Aisha passed by the waters of al-Haw'ab and heard the dogs barking. She remembered the warning of the Prophet, and she cried and said: "Take me back! Take me back!" But Talha and Zubair brought fifty men and bribed them to testify in front of her that the place was not the plain of al-Haw'ab. Many Sunni historians believe that those fifty men gave the first falsified testimony in the history of Islam. (al-Tabari, Ibn al-Athir, and al-Mada'ini who wrote on the events of the year 36 AH. See also "The Great Sedition" -- "al-Fitna al-Kubra", by Taha Husain).[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]The incident of bringing fifty false witnesses was mentioned by Abu Mikhnaf as quoted in Sharh Nahj al-Balaghah (6/225) and (9/310-311). In (9/310) Ibn Abil Hadeed also attributed this to Kalbi from Abu Saleh from Ibn Abbas; and from Jareen bin Yazeed from Shu’bi; and from Muhammad bin Ishaq from Habeeb bin ‘Umair. I could not find it in the books of Ibn Jareer and Ibn Atheer under the events of 36 AH. And Allah knows best.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Abu Mikhnaf is highly unreliable and was from shia historians. [See Al-Meezan (2/420)][/color]
[color=#0000ff]The Isnad of Al-Kalbi from Abu Salih from Ibn ‘Abbas is highly unreliable as obvious. Sufyan reports from Al-Kalbi that he said, “All that I have narrated from Abu Salih are falsehood.” [Al-Meezan (3/557)]. Ibn Al-Madeeni heard from Yahya bin Saeed from Sufyan that Al-Kalbi said: Abu Salih said to me, “All that I have narrated to you is falsehood.” [Al-Meezan (1/296)][/color]
[color=#0000ff]I could not identify Jareen bin Yazeed. If he is Jareer instead of Jareen then also I am not sure who actually he is, as there are more than one Jareer bin Yazeed. In any case, all of them are weak.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]The isnad of Muhammad bin Ishaq from Habib bin ‘Umar is also doubtful due to ‘an’ana of Ibn Ishaq and that Habib bin ‘Umair is unidentified.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]All this is considered only when it is known from where actually Ibn Abil Hadeed, who died around the year 656 AH, got these narrations.[/color]

[b]Hadeeth - 59[/b]
[quote]
Umm Salama also sought to prevent her from the uprising, using strong words, saying:
"The pillars of Islam, if they lean, are not set erect by women; and if they crack, are not joined by women. The praiseworthy things for women are lowering their gazes and protecting their chastity. What would you say if the Messenger of Allah (PBUH&HF) appear before you in one of these deserts and finds you driving your camel from one watering place to another? By Allah, if I were to embark upon this journey of yours, then it was said to me: 'Enter paradise' I would be ashamed to face Muhammad after having thrown off the veils he has placed upon me.'"
Sunni reference: Kitab al-Musanif fi Gharib al-Hadith, by Ibn Qutaybah, Chapter of Imamat and Politics.
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]Ibn Qutaibah said: It was narrated to me by a Shaikh, of Ra’y city, who was from the scholars of Arabic Adab. [Gharib al-Hadith (2/487)][/color]
[color=#0000ff]It has two defects with it. First is that the Shaikh who narrated it was unknown. Second is that the chain is not connected above that sheikh. So basically it was a story told by an unknown person to Ibn Qutaibah, and since this narrative has a lot of difficult words to explain hence Ibn Qutaibah found it suitable for his book on the topic. And Allah knows best.[/color]

[b]Hadeeth - 60[/b]
[quote]
Just as Aisha did not accept the advice of many sincere companions, al-Tabari in his history related that:
Jariyah Ibn Quddama al-Sa'di said to her: 'O mother of the believers, by Allah, the murder of Uthman is less despicable than you going out on this accursed camel from your house and bearing arms. Allah has imposed on you the veil and sanctity, you have destroyed your cover and defiled your respect. Surely, whoever sees your uprising, sees your destruction. If you come to us obeying, then go back to your house. If you have come to us in coercion, then seek the help of the people".
Sunni reference: History of al-Tabari, v6, p482
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]This is mentioned in the report of Nasr bin Muzahim from Saif bin Umar from Sahl bin Yusuf from Qaasim bin Muhammad; See Tabari (4/465). Nasr bin Muzahim was unreliable as well as a Rafidhi [Lisan al-Mizan (6/157)]; Saif bin Umar was abandoned as well [Meezan (2/255)]; Sahl bin Yusuf was unknown [Lisan al-Mizan (3/122)].[/color]

[b]Hadeeth - 61[/b]
[quote]Even when Talha and al-Zubair argued as to who should lead the prayer, and when both of them wanted to lead, Aisha intervened and removed them both and ordered Abdullah Ibn Zubair, her nephew, to lead the dissents in prayer.[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]It has been recorded by Tabari in his Tareekh (4/454): Narrated to us Umar, narrated to us Abul Hasan from Umar bin Raashid al-Yamami from Abu Katheer as-Suhaimi from Ibn ‘Abbas. Umar bin Raashid was weak as concluded by Ibn Hajar in Taqreeb (1/412). [See also Al-Meezan (3/193-195)][/color]
[color=#0000ff]Aisha’s (ra) command was a solution of the controversy which was arising then. The son of Talha said that Talha should lead the prayer while Abdullah, the son of Zubair was saying that Zubair should lead the prayer. This issue was taken to Aisha, so she resolved this controversy by deciding that her nephew should lead the prayer. That does not mean she considered Ibn Zubair to be superior to his father and Talha.[/color]

[b]Hadeeth - 62[/b]
[quote]
The historians say that when the companions of Aisha came to Uthman Ibn Hanif, the governor of Basra, they took him along with seventy of his officers who were in charge of the public treasury as prisoners. [b]They brought them to Aisha who ordered that they be put to death. They were slaughtered as sheep are slaughtered.[/b] It is even reported there were 400 men in all and that they were the first Muslims whose heads were cut off whilst they were patient.
Sunni references:[list]
[*]History of al-Tabari, v5, p178
[*]Sharh Ibn Abil Hadid, v2, p501
[/list]
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]This is unreliable report reported by the famous Shi’i historian Abu Mikhnaf Lut bin Yahya who reported it from Yusuf bin Yazeed from Sahl bin Sa’d. [Ibn Jareer At-Tabri (4/468-9), Ibn Abil Hadeed (9/321)][/color]
[color=#0000ff]Note that the report does not say that they were killed on the command of ‘Aishah (ra), rather it says that she initially ordered for the killing of ‘Uthman bin Hunaif but later she retracted. It does not mention that all seventy captives were ordered to be killed. And Allah knows best.[/color]

[b]Hadeeth - 63[/b]
[quote]al-Sha'bi reported from Muslim Ibn Abi Bakra from his father "When Talha and Zubair reached Basra, I put on my sword as I wanted to help them. I visited Aisha, she was ordering, prohibiting; she was in command. I remembered a Hadith from the Prophet of Allah (PBUH&HF) which I used to hear him say: 'A community which has its affairs administered by a woman will never succeed.' I [therefore] withdrew from them and left them". (Reported by al-Bukhari, v8, p97; al-Nisa'i, v4, p305; al-Hakim, v4, p525)[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]It was reported in this way or similar to it through Hasan Basari from Abu Bakrah Ath-Thaqafi by Bukhari (4425, 7099) and others.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]I could not find this hadith as a narration of Ash-Sha’bi from Muslim bin Abi Bakrah from his father. And Allah knows best. All the reference given by the Shi’i author has the hadith of Hasan Basari from Abu Bakrah.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Note – Abu Bakrah Ath-Thaqafi died in the year 51 AH. He did not join any of the group during the battle of Jamal.[/color]

[b]Hadeeth - 64[/b]
[quote]
Ibn Abil Hadid, in his Sharh, along with some other historians, reported that Aisha sent a letter when she was in Basra to Zaid Ibn Sawhan al-'Abdi in which she said to him: "From Aisha, the mother of the believers, daughter of Abu Bakr, the truthful one, wife of the Prophet. To her devoted son, Zaid Ibn Sawhan. Remain at home and make the people abandon the son of Abu Talib. I hope to hear what I would love from you, since you are the most trustworthy of my family...Wassalam".
This righteous man replied to her thus: "From Zaid Ibn Sawhan to Aisha Bint Abi Bakr: Allah issued a commandment to you and, He also issued a commandment to us. He ordered you to remain in your residence, and He ordered us to fight. Your letter has come to me instructing me to do contrary to what Allah has ordered me to do, [You have asked me] to do what Allah has ordered you to do, and that you do what Allah has asked me to do! Your order to me is [something] that I cannot obey, therefore there is no reply [necessary] to your letter."
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]Ibn Abil Hadeed quoted it as a report of Abu Mikhnaf, who was unreliable, in Sharh Nahj al-Balaghah (6/226-227). Ibn Jareer Al-Tabari (4/476-477) narrated it through ‘Umar (bin Shabbah): Abul Hasan (Al-Mada’ini) narrated to us: Abu Mikhnaf narrated to us from Mujalid bin Sa’eed.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Zaid bin Sauhan accepted Islam during the lifetime of the Prophet (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) and died while fighting from Ali’s (ra) side during the Jamal incident. Ibn ‘Abdul Barr said: I am not aware of him being a Sahabi. He only found the time of the Prophet (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam). He was a righteous, religious and a leader among his people. [Al-Isabah (2/532)][/color]

[b]Narration - 65[/b]
[quote]
"Ata Ibn Yasar, who says that a certain person came to Aisha and began to use [b]impudent and abusive words for Ali[/b] while Ammar, was in her presence. She said to him: "[b]As regards Ali, I have nothing to tell you[/b], but as regards Ammar, I have heard the Messenger of Allah saying about him that if he has to make a choice between two things he will always choose that which is better from the point of view of good guidance and salvation."
Sunni reference: Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v6, p113

[/quote]

Imam Ahmad related it in his Musnad (24820) through Abdullah bin Habeeb from Habeeb bin Abi Thaabit from ‘Ataa bin Yasaar. This Isnad was authenticated by Sh Shu’aib Arnaut on the condition of Muslim.
Tirmidhi (3799), Nasai in “Al-Kubra” (8218), Ibn Maajah (148) and Haakim in “al-Mustadrak” (5665) have narrated this through Abdul-‘Aziz bin Sayaah from Habeeb from ‘Ataa in brief without mentioning anything about Ali (ra).

[b]Note [/b]– The translated portion ((..and began to use impudent and abusive words for ‘Ali..)) is not accurate. The Arabic word “waqa’a” is used in general to describe any kind of criticism and negative speech regardless of it being abuse or impudent word. So it could have been any kind of criticism and not necessarily abusive word. The accuracy should be maintained while translating narrations especially when it is used as an allegation against someone. And Allah knows besr.

[b]Narration - 66[/b]

[quote]
The Prophet of Allah (PBUH&HF) beckoned to Ali to come close. He came close until he sat between him and Aisha, and he and the Prophet (PBUH&HF) were clung together. She said to him "Can you not find a seat for this one except on my thigh?"
Sunni reference: Sharh Ibn Abil Hadid, v9, p195
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]I could not find any Isnad which has the wording of ‘Aisha (ra) mentioning “thigh” in it. However, Ibn Hajar said in Al-Isabah (8/307): Al-‘Uqaili has narrated in the entry of Musa bin Al-Qasim in “Ad-Du’afa” and Ibn Mandah as a narration of Ali bin Hashim bin Al-Bareed: My father narrated to me: Musa bin Qasim narrated to me: Laila al-Ghifariyah narrated to me, she said, “I used to go into battle along with the Prophet (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) where I used to treat those got wounded and would take care of ill people. When Ali (ra) went out for Basrah I also came out in his support. So when I saw ‘Aisha I came to her and asked, “Have you heard anything from the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) regarding the merit of Ali?” She said, “Yes, once Ali came to the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) wearing a velvet cloth while he was with me and sat between us. I said, “Do you not find any other place with enough space than this?” So the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said, “O ‘Aisha, Leave alone my brother for me…” Till the end.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Al-‘Uqaili has narrated it in “Al-Du’afa” (4/166). It has the following defects:[/color][list=1]
[*][color=#0000ff]It contains Abu Salt Al-Harawi who was accused of fabricating hadith on Ali bin Musa Al-Ridha, the eighth Imam of Twelvers.[/color]
[*][color=#0000ff]Musa bin al-Qasim was unknown. Al-‘Uqaili has listed him among “Du’afa” and quoted Al-Bukhari’s disparagement of his narration.[/color]
[/list]
[color=#0000ff]Al-Dhahabi said regarding the Isnad, “Its chain is dark.” [Meezan (4/217)][/color]

[u][b]Narration - 67[/b][/u]

[quote]
Ibn Abil Hadid also reported that one day the Prophet of Allah (PBUH&HF) was walking with Imam Ali and the conversation became prolonged. Aisha approached as she was walking from behind until she came between them saying: "What is it between you two that you are taking so long?" Upon this the Prophet of Allah (PBUH&HF) became angry.
Sunni reference: Sharh Ibn Abil Hadid, v9, p195
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]Ibn Abil Hadeed mentioned it as a statement of Yusuf bin Isma’eel Al-Lam’ani, one of his Mu’tazali Shaikh, who mentioned it while describing the conflict between ‘Aisha (ra) and ‘Ali (ra) without Isnad.[/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Note [/b]– Mu’atazalites are not to be relied on when they attribute something to someone in the form of narration. They would not mind relying on dogs and monkeys if it suits their preinstalled notions. The long speech of Al-Lam’ani quoted by Ibn Abi al-Hadeed shows that he was a retarded person.[/color]

[b][u]Narration - 68[/u][/b]

[quote]He also said about him: "Whoever loves Ali has loved me, and whoever hates Ali has hated me." (al-Mustadrak, by al-Hakim, v3, p130 who said this Tradition is authentic as set by the two standards of Muslim and Bukhari).[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]Al-Haakim (no.4648) reported it through Sa’eed bin Aus Al-Ansari from ‘Auf from Abu ‘Uthman An-Nahdi that a person asked Salman al-Farasi, “What is this intense [/color]
[color=#0000ff]love of ‘Ali from you?” He said, “I heard the messenger of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam)…alhadith”. All of its narrators are trustworthy.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Its narrators are as follow:[/color][list=1]
[*][color=#0000ff]Ahmad bin ‘Uthman bin Yahya al-‘Atashi al-Adami al-Muqri (d.349): He was trustworthy as per the declaration of Al-Barqani and Khateeb. [Tarikh al-Islam (7/871)][/color]
[*][color=#0000ff]Muhammad bin Ahmad bin Yazeed bin Abil ‘Awwam ar-Riyahi: He was declared Saduq by Ad-Daarqutni. Ibn Hibban listed him among Thiqaat. Maslamah bin Qasim said that he was Thiqah. Ibn ‘Uqdah reports from Abdullah bin Ahmad that he was Saduq. [Ath-Thiqat by Qasim bin Qatloobagha (8/163)][/color]
[*][color=#0000ff]Sa’eed bin Aws Abu Zaid al-Ansari: Ibn Ma’eed and Abu Hatim said Saduq. Salih Jazarah said Thiqah. [Tahdheeb al-Kamal (10/330-337)][/color]
[*][color=#0000ff]Awf al-A’rabi: He was declared Thiqah by Ahmad bin Hanbal, Yahya bin Ma’een and An-Nasai. [Tahdheeb al-Kamal (22/437-441)][/color]
[*][color=#0000ff]Abu ‘Uthman An-Nahdi: He was from the senior-most Tab’een.[/color]
[/list]
[color=#0000ff]Al-Hakim declared it authentic. This narration was also reported by Ash-Shajari in his Amaali through a weak chain going back to Sa’eed bin Aws. [Al-Eema ila zawa’id al-Amaali wa al-Ajza (3/29)][/color]
[color=#0000ff]The same wording has also been reported as a narration of Um Salamah (ra). At-Tabarani in “Al-Kabeer” (23/380), Abu Tahir Al-Mukhallis in Fawaid (3/150, no.2193) and Ibn ‘Asakir in his Tarikh (42/270-271) through Abu Jabir from Hakam bin Muhammad from Fitr from Abu Tufayl from Um Salamah (ra)…alhadith.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Shaikh Al-Albani declared the Isnad of the hadith of Umm Salamah to be Sahih. [As-Saheehah (1299)][/color]

[b]Narration - 69[/b]
[quote]
The companions used to say: "We recognized the hypocrites by their hatred of Ali." (Fadha'il al-Sahaba, by Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v2, p639, Tradition #1086; al-Isti'ab, by Ibn Abd al-Barr, v3, p47; al-Riyadh al-Nadhirah, by Muhibbuddin al-Tabari, v3, p242; Dhakha'ir al-Uqba, by Muhibbuddin al-Tabari, p91)
It has been reported from the narration of Abu Sa’eed, Jabir bin Abdullah and Abu Dharr.
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]The [b]statement of Abu Sa’eed Al-Khudri[/b] has been reported by Tirmidhi in Sunan (3717) through Ja’far bin Sulaiman from Abu Harun al-‘Abdi from Abu Sa’eed…alhadith. Tirmidhi said after it “This is Ghareeb. Shu’bah has spoken against Abu Harun”.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Imam Ahmad has related it in Fadhail as-Sahabah (979) through Israeel from A’amash from Abu Saleh from Abu Sa’eed. Wasiyullah ‘Abbas the annotator of Fadhail as-Sahabah has declared it Sahih.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]As for the [b]statement of Jabir[/b] then it was reported by Abdullah bin Ahmad in Fadhail (1086) and Al-Bazzar (Kashf al-Astar 2560) through Muhammad bin ‘Ali as-Sulami from Abdullah bin Muhammad bin ‘Aqeel from Jabir bin Abdullah. The annotator of Fadhail as-Sahabah viz. Wasiyullah ‘Abbas has declared this to be Hasan.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Abu Bakr al-Qatee’i reports it in his additions to Fadhail (1146) as a narration of Mu’awiyah bin ‘Ammar from Abu Zubair from Jabir but its Isnad contains Abdul Malik bin ‘Abd Rabbihi who was extremely weak.[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Tabrani reports the statement of Jabir (ra) in “Al-Awsat” (4151) through Muhammad bin Hassan al-Khazzaz from ‘Amr bin Thabit from ‘Imran bin Sulaiman from Abu Ja’far Muhammad bin ‘Ali from Jabir. This is defective due to the presence of (1) Muhammad bin Hassan al-Khazzaz who was declared to be a liar by Abu Hatim and Muhammad bin ‘Abdullah bin Numair [al-Jarh w al-Ta’deel (7/238)] and (2) ‘Amr bin Thabit who was weak and an extremist Rafidhi [Mizan (3/249)].[/color]

[color=#0000ff][b]The statement of Abu Dharr[/b] (ra) was reported by Abu ‘Abdullah al-Hakim in “Al-Mustadrak” (4643) and al-Khateeb in “Al-Muttafaq wa al-Muftariq” (1/434) through Ishaq bin Bishr al-Kahili that he heard from Shareek from Qais bin Muslim from Abu ‘Abdullah al-Jadali from Abu Dharr that he said, “We would not recognize a hypocrite except through their falsification of Allah and His Messenger, their absence from the (congregational) prayer and their hate for ‘Ali, May Allah be pleased with him.” Al-Hakim declared it authentic on the condition Muslim but Al-Dhahabi contradicted him by saying, “Ishaq bin Bishr was accused of lying.” His entry could be read in books like Meezan al-I’tidal and al-Kamil.[/color]
[color=#0000ff][u]In conclusion, this statement is authentically proven from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri. The narration of Jabir is also good to be quoted. But this is not established as a statement of Abu Dharr al-Ghifari. [/u]And Allah knows best.[/color]

MashaAllah.
I am a new user to Islamc forum its good to see that people are sharing such knowledge. You can also find great wazifas especially [color=#ff0000](Edited)[/color] on our website

Keep up the good work.
Best Regards,
Ijaz Edited by H4Y